Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chapter 1.2 High.

Kiwi had always worked hard for everything she wanted, she always done her homework, always helped her bother who was 2 years older then her.  The played sport and aced it to first grade.  Her and her mother made paintings together spending HOURS on them.  Running to get up her fitness.

It is no different now, but she knows the people here don't see it.  When they look at her, they see a prissy little princess with painted nails and polished hair. Not the girl who has spent her entire life working her ass off, pushing herself until her muscles ached, studying so hard that she would full asleep at her desk and still be perky the next day. People live in a haze, they only see what they want to see.  It is time for Kiwi to show them, never to judge a book by its cover.
Photobucket 
I headed into the fire station that day, not knowing what the day was going to bring, it was quiet and no one was there yet.  I must of go there early, the air in the building was airy.  There was a gleam on the fire engine as she run the pad of her index finger along it.  Something about today felt different. I climbed the stairs into the gym, now was a good as time as ever.  Let me just tell you this, tread mills are not my thing.  There is something completely unnatural about them, the jolting and the noise.  It is nothing like getting out in nature, listening to the birds and having the fresh air rush over your face and tangling your hair.  An adrenalin rush of sorts and the best way to clear your mind.  .   .   .  Yeah, treadmills have nothing on that.
Photobucket 
The day has started getting on so I decided I should go down stairs, I still hadn't seen anyone and I needed to do some maintenance on the fire engine.  I was thinking that is was odd that I still had not seen anyone, but seriously does no one in the freaken fire department know what time work starts? As I was walking past the study I bumped into Joey, he had been promoted to team leader of late. The alarms started donging in my ears and  I stepped back a bit, just so he was out of my bubble.
Photobucket 
"Hey Kiwi, what do you think about taking the fire engine out for a spin?" Joey indicated down the road with his thumb. "There is an apparent fire down on forth street, it is only small you just have to get down there and contain it.  Do you think your up for it?" I had the biggest grin on her face "Are you kidding me, I will be there in a flash.".  I prepared myself for battle, or as much battle one can have with a small fire.  Protection is always the key.
Photobucket 
I am so glad I did though, because when I got there it was not just some little fire, the place was engulfed in flames, I felt the sweat beading on my forehead as I burst through the door.  I hoped for the life of me and these peoples belongings that I could put it out.  Inch by inch the flames died down, until eventually it was a little brown dot. After I knew I couldn't drive yet and my heart was pumping so fast.  I just sat outside in the cool air just laying there. 
Photobucket
About twenty minutes later, I ended back at the station.  I was ashamed that I let the fire get out of control.  Bet no one else let that happen.  Joey was striding towards me, there was no where to hide.  So I took a deep breath and met him 4 paces later.
"Kiwi, I know it hasn't been easy on you the last few months." Joey started.
I started fidgeting then wondering where this conversation was going, I don't think I could cope with being fired.
"But you have really proven yourself." Joey spoke softly with a grin his face. "I want to offer you my old job as the safety instructor, if you want to take it of course. Also a small bonus."
"OH HELL YES!" I squealed. I hugged Joey so hard and ran through the fire station screaming. 

Sometimes the little things mean everything.

1 comment:

  1. I love the comparison of the running and the shot of the treadmill! Glad to know that she is finally being recognized!

    ReplyDelete